Bosch Dishwasher Not Draining
So, you've invested in a top-of-the-line Bosch dishwasher, and suddenly it won't drain properly. This frustrating situation is more common than you might initially think.
If your Bosch dishwasher is not draining properly, you've come to the right place. We'll walk you through some of the common causes of a dishwasher failing to drain and help you identify when it's time to call a professional appliance repair service like Mr. Appliance®.
Why Is My Bosch Dishwasher Not Draining Water?
There are several reasons why your dishwasher, even a high-end Bosch dishwasher, won't drain properly. Here are a few of the most common reasons why:
- A dirty filter: Dirt and grime from your dishes can sometimes clog the machine's filter. This can cause inefficient draining and poor wash quality.
- Using the incorrect detergent: Some machines are only designed to use powder detergent. Using liquid detergent in one of these machines can result in excessive suds that drain slowly.
- The garburator is clogged: Dishwashers have a hose that connects to your garburator. If the disposal is blocked, it can slow the draining process.
- A clogged air gap: An air gap is a tiny device on your sink that is covered by a cylindrical housing. When the air gap is clogged with grime, it can prevent the dishwasher from draining properly.
- A drain hose issue: As you might suspect, if your drain hose is kinked or clogged, it can lead to draining issues in your Bosch dishwasher.
How to Fix a Dishwasher That Won't Drain
While it’s certainly inconvenient when your Bosch dishwasher won't drain, the good news is some of these issues can be solved without calling a professional. Here are a few troubleshooting steps to take before contacting a service professional.
- Check the filter: Check to see if your dishwasher filter is clogged due to food that is removed during cleaning. Consult your user manual or the manufacturer's website for the filter location.
- Use the correct detergent: If you use liquid detergent and it produces excessive suds, simply wait for the dishwasher to finish and extend the drain cycle. Once the cycle is finished, be careful to use the correct detergent for your appliance.
- Try to clear the garburator clog: While the sink is running, run the garburator to clear it. If that doesn't work, contact one of our service professionals for help.
- Clean the clogged air gap: Remove the cylindrical cover from the air gap and gently clean the air gap using tweezers and a small brush.
- Check the drain hose: Replace the drain hose or unkink it. This will require the proper tools and some DIY skills. If you don’t have the right tools and lack the skills needed to complete the job, contact a Mr. Appliance repair professional for service.
When to Hire Professionals to Fix Your Bosch Dishwasher
If you have tried the relatively simple fixes we mentioned, but your dishwasher is still not draining properly, it's time to call a professional. There could be an internal issue with one of the dishwasher's components or some other issue that needs attention.
Our experts have the right tools and expertise to diagnose and fix the issue quickly.
FAQ About Dishwasher Drainage Problems
Why is there standing water in the bottom of my dishwasher?
The most common reasons for a Bosch dishwasher not draining are a filter or sump pump blockages, a garburator clog, or a damaged drain hose. Your drainage issue can usually be resolved by cleaning the filter, clearing the clog, or replacing the hose.
How do you unclog a dishwasher with standing water?
Standing water at the bottom of your dishwasher usually signals a blockage in the filter or within the sump pump drain. Both of these issues can typically be solved with proper cleaning (consult your owner’s manual for the location and cleaning instructions).
If the water does not begin to drain away when you remove the filter, set the filter aside and check the sump pump area the filter was covering. See if you can locate any blockages and remove them. If this fails, call an appliance repair professional.
Need Help Fixing a Bosch Dishwasher That Won't Drain?
Sometimes, even high-end appliances malfunction and need dishwasher repair. If your Bosch dishwasher won't drain, it's a major inconvenience. Thankfully, the appliance repair team at your local Mr. Appliance can help repair your Bosch dishwasher quickly, sparing you from having to do dishes by hand. Whether it’s a dishwasher that won’t drain or some other appliance issue, contact us today and schedule a service to get your appliances running efficiently again.