Few things are more frustrating than starting a load of laundry only to receive an error code in response. When you find yourself in this situation, the only thing you want is an answer.
Thankfully, we’ve compiled a list of common error codes for Maytag washing machines. We’ll tell you what they mean, how you can fix them, and when it’s time to call a professional.
Quick Fixes for Maytag Washing Machine Error Codes
Before you contact a service professional, there are a few things you can do to clear some common error codes on your Maytag washing machine:
- Reset your machine: Unplug your Maytag washer, then leave it off for at least 10 seconds before plugging it back in. Much like turning a computer off and back on, this will clear some basic error codes.
- Check the door for obstructions: Obstructions, like a sock or a large clump of lint, can sometimes get inside the locking mechanism of the door and prevent it from locking.
- Check the cartridge drawer: We all forget things, even something as basic as putting detergent in your washing machine. Double-check the detergent drawer to make sure you added detergent before the washing cycle.
What Are the Causes for Maytag Washing Machine Error Codes?
Many error codes are caused by simple issues like a missing detergent cartridge or a sock in the locking mechanism. However, some error codes indicate more serious issues that are best left to a professional.
Below are some common error codes for a Maytag washing machine, along with their definition and solution.
If any solution is too complex to perform on your own, contact your local Mr Appliance professional for help. We offer professional washing machine repair services that will have your appliance working efficiently again.
List of Maytag Washer Error Codes
LOC or LC
The control lock is activated
Detergent cartridge was not detected
The cycle was paused or canceled
rL or F34
Items detected during the clean washer cycle
Sud or Sd
Excessive suds in the washing machine
The door is not locking properly
Motor speed sensing error
F8 E1 or LO FL
The washer senses low water flow
Dispenser system issue
Drain times are longer than expected
Other F# E# Code
LOC/LC – Control Lock is Activated
- Solution: Touch or press and hold the control lock button to reset it. Consult your owner’s manual for the location of the button on your model.
dET – Missing Detergent Cartridge
- Solution: Ignore if you use single loads of detergent; otherwise, check to ensure the detergent cartridge is present.
- Solution: Allow the washer to continue its draining cycle. Once it has drained, press the pause or cancel button twice and the power button once. Should that fail, unplug the washing machine for one minute.
rL/F34 – Items Detected During Clean Washer Cycle
Solution: Remove the items from the washer drum and restart the clean washer cycle.
Sud/Sd – Excessive Suds
- Solution: Allow the washer to run its typical cycle to clear out the excess suds. This is typically the result of improper detergent usage (refer to your owner’s manual to determine the proper detergent type) but could be caused by a drain hose issue. If the issue persists after you use the correct detergent, contact an appliance repair professional.
F5 E2 – Door Lock Failed
- Solution: Check for items blocking the locking mechanism and remove them if present. If the issue is not resolved, contact an appliance repair professional.
F7 E1 – Motor Speed Issue
- Solution: Check to ensure all shipping bolts are removed and that the washer is not overloaded. If that solves the issue, clear the code by pressing the pause or cancel button twice and the power button once. If there are no shipping bolts and the load is of normal size, contact an appliance repair professional.
F8 E1/LO FL – Low Water Flow
- Solution: Check the water supply valves in your home to ensure both the hot and cold water valves are fully open. Double-check the water inlet hoses for kinks or obstructions. If the hose has any issues or the code is not resolved by opening the water valves, contact your local Mr Appliance.
F8 E2 – Dispenser System Issue
- Solution: Ensure that your detergent drawer is not clogged with detergent. If it is clear, schedule a professional washer repair service with Mr. Appliance.
F9 E1 – Excessive Drain Time
- Solution: Check the drain hose for kinks or clogs. If the hose is clogged or another issue is present, schedule service with your local Mr. Appliance
How We Fix Your Washer
At Mr. Appliance®, we pride ourselves on quality service and a timely response. When you call us, we’ll quickly arrive at your home to inspect the washer and will let you know exactly what is wrong and what it will cost.
We never charge overage fees, and if we have to leave without completing the repair, like when we have to order a part, we’ll come back and fix it at no additional cost to you.
What Are The Dangers of DIY Washer Repair?
While DIY repairs are tempting, they aren’t as easy as they appear and don’t always work out as planned. Online DIY resources often promise simple tasks and significant cost savings, but they rarely tell you what could happen if things go wrong. In addition, some washer repair jobs require specific tools and expertise to ensure a safe and reliable repair.
For instance, attempting to repair your washing machine will almost certainly void its warranty, robbing you of free or significantly discounted repairs. Additionally, without the proper tools and knowledge, you could make the issue worse or create another, more expensive repair issue, which may force you to replace your washing machine altogether.
Find Reliable Maytag Washer Repairs in Your Area
Don’t let Maytag washing machine error codes ruin your day or get you out of your laundry routine. Call the experienced appliance repair experts at your local Mr. Appliance or schedule an appointment to get your Maytag appliance repair started today!